Saturday, April 11, 2009

Practicing Gratitude

Scripture Text: "In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (I Thessalonians 5:18)

Let love for God be the center of your expression for showing gratitude, and there are a variety of life’s experiences whereby gratitude can be expressed. For each person; however, it will be something different.

Often at the dinner table during the Thanksgiving Holiday season guests are asked to state at least one thing they are grateful for. But what if after the meal, while still seated around the table, participants were to state how they became grateful, and how they now express that gratitude.

One participant may say, "In gratitude for being hired after searching so long for a job, I quietly removed myself from those who complain about the boss or the company."

Another person may say, "While visiting another country, I never knew when the water system and electricity would be cut off by the government, nor did I have the freedom to turn to a water faucet for a drink of water because it was recommended that we drink only bottled water. After returning to the United States, I no longer took for granted the ability to drink from a water faucet or the 24 hour/7 day per week use of our water system and electricity. I now have an appreciation for America that I never had before."

Someone else may say, "As a teenager, I lived in the north. One summer I went on vacation with my friend and her family to the south. My friend’s cousins took us to the movies. As we walked through the lobby, I automatically headed for the door to the theatre area on the main floor until my friend’s cousin frantically whispered, "No! You can’t go through there. We have to sit in the balcony." That was my first encounter with being bound by prejudice. I never forgot that experience, and I was forever grateful for the freedom that I enjoyed living in the north."

Another may say, "While growing up, prior to and during my teenage years, I was as lazy as they came. I shrank back from doing anything that looked like work, consequently, my chores were always half done, and I could never understand why I got yelled at. So I decided that they were just picking on me and never satisfied with anything I ever did. After I became an adult and experienced life, then I realized the value of my parents teaching, and was ashamed at how useless I allowed myself to be. But in gratitude for their efforts I profusely thanked them. Although now they are deceased; nevertheless, I continue to express my gratitude to God by always implementing the training they so endeavored to instill within me, and also pray for others who seem to have been struck with that same spirit of slothfulness."

In closing:

The key points that ring out of the testimonies of gratitude is that gratitude is freeing and it is educational; for gratitude helps you see valuable standards for living that you could not otherwise discern.

Therefore incorporating gratitude into one's life can be the best tonic for living a happy faith-filled life, more than could ever be imagined.

No comments: